Sunday, September 8, 2013

"Altered Perception"

"Altered Perception" came together quickly and was done with ink, crayon and acrylic on paper.  At this point in my life, I have no idea what I am going to do with all of these works.  I just sort of create them to create them.  They are more exercises in creativity.  They aren't about things being perfect, they are about movements, composition and energy.  At times, I ask myself...what is the point?  Nobody cares.  I don't care at all for art critics or gallery curators or so-called art 'experts'.  So why do I create?  I create simply because I am called to create.  I create for God.  We all can get caught up in the desire for approval from other people or compliments but at the end of the day it is about creating something that is pleasing to myself which I believe makes our Lord pleased.  I suppose the title "Altered Perceptions" can apply to many things in life.  How we see the world around us can be different for each individual even though we are looking at the same thing.  Sometimes we look in the mirror and we don't see the same person that we saw yesterday or even five minutes prior.  This piece is sort of a play on that reality.  The merging of the surreal with the real.  I am experiencing tremendous periods of lonesomeness and at times I feel like the individual portrayed in this piece, wondering what is wrong with me.  Again though, that question can be phrased the other way around, what is wrong with other people?  Why do I not ask myself the question in that way, but always in a negative way towards myself?  Anyways, these are just thoughts wrapped around this image and this day in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment